Extensive laboratory facilities for fire detection and suppression research and testing.
BRE has extensive and unique world class facilities, including:
- – Resistance and reaction to fire test rigs, including ad-hoc testing
- – Modelling facilities including physical scale and numerical
- – Burn hall with environmental protection.
- TESTING, CERTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION HOME
- DATA AND INSIGHTS
- RESEARCH & INNOVATION
- CASE STUDIES & INSIGHTS
- CONTACT US
For more information
For our training courses
Visit the BRE Academy Fire Courses.
In addition, extensive laboratory facilities are available for fire detection and suppression research and testing. BRE also has a well established capability to develop experimental facilities to meet the specific requirements of research.
Our facilities are located in four laboratories at Garston near Watford and include:
- BRE burn hall with smoke management used for determining heat release rates for input to fire safety engineering (FSE) design
- fire resistance furnace hall with smoke management
- 10 MW (9mx9m hood) calorimeter with optional sprinkler protection
- 2MW (3mx3m hood) calorimeter with option of ISO 9705 room corner test (reference test for the Euroclasses)
- sprinkler performance and distribution test facility
- LPS 1230 Fire suppression (halon replacement evaluation) performance facility
- BS 8414 external cladding test facility
- LPS 1181 sandwich panel performance test facility
- BS 476 all parts relevant to the Building Regulations (reaction to fire and fire resistance)
- all European fire tests relevant to the Building Regulations (reaction to fire and fire resistance)
- CEN/TS 1187 Test 4, constituent of EN 13501-5 for external fire performance of roofs
- ad hoc space for fire recreations and ad hoc experiments
- analytical chemistry facilities for sampling of chemical species
- miscellaneous large-scale and intermediate-scale experimental rigs for studying linings, cable, other linear products etc
- fire detection and fire suppression testing to European and International standards; includes heat and smoke detectors, alarm panels, gaseous extinguishing systems, sprinklers etc
- CFD and risk based computational fire modelling suite.