- Data and insights
- Testing, certification and verification
- Acoustics testing
- Approved certifiers of design Scotland – domestic and non-domestic buildings
- Assessment of indoor environmental quality and ventilation in healthcare buildings
- Concrete and related materials
- Effects of new buildings on TV reception
- Engineering support
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) EN 15804
- Environmental Technology Verification
- Fire safety testing
- Heat pump testing
- Indoor environment testing
- ISO 14001
- ISO 45001:2018
- ISO 9001
- Mental Health Product Testing
- Partition wall testing
- Post-tensioning kits
- Pre-cast Reinforced Concrete (Repair Scheme)
- Products for Mental Health Safeguarding (ProMHS)
- Recessed downlights testing
- Reducing potential exposure to nitrous oxide in different settings
- Wind load testing
- Research & Innovation
- Expert witness
Our track record of building research is second to none. From providing homes for soldiers returning from World War 1, to the resilience of today’s buildings to climate change, we have been at the forefront of research and development for nearly a century.
BRE provides impartial research services to local and national government in the UK and internationally, and to businesses and other private sector organisations around the world. We also conduct our own research programmes, funded by the BRE Trust (see below) from our commercial operations, often in partnership with other research organisations and research funders.
Bringing your ideas to life
Our capacity to generate new knowledge, support and test new ideas underpins the research services we offer in almost every aspect of the built environment.
In this section
The CLICKdesign project is developing a performance based specification protocol to enable a software tool for architects, specifiers and the public to embed service life performance specification for wood.
We have some of the most comprehensive materials research capabilities in the world. Our experts deal with all issues relating to the properties, use and sustainability of construction materials, and with new materials research.
With one of the largest and most advanced fire research facilities in Europe, we offer research and investigation services in all fire issues concerning buildings, infrastructure and transport.
The Biophilic Office
A new research and demonstration project the Biophilic Office project will look at how we can make working environments beneficial to the health and wellbeing of the workers.
Demonstration on-site and laboratory durability study
QUANTUM is a four year-long EU funded project which started in January 2016. By developing and demonstrating pragmatic tools and services, QUANTUM aims to help close the quality and performance gap between building systems design requirements and real installations.