Construction businesses are continually under pressure to lower costs and reduce delivery times. The industry is actively driving towards net zero carbon, with greater emphasis on environmental impact and sustainability . Innovation and new thinking are essential to achieving this. Whether assessing the impact of building design, new products and systems, the application of sustainability schemes such BREEAM, or targeted improvements on energy and water use or waste reduction. Determining which alternative approach will deliver the greatest cost-effective benefit is a challenge.
How can CaliBRE help?
CaliBRE is a site efficiency and productivity measurement tool that diagnoses and quantifies the breakdown of working hours into ‘waste time’, non-value added time and value-added time. It identifies which trades are carrying out work on site and answers what, where, when and for how long they are working. Activity sampling determines the efficiency of the process and identifies delays and other non-added value activities.
Our experts will help your management team to pinpoint where time has been wasted or activities haven’t been efficient during a construction process, evidenced by hard data. This can lead to reduced delivery times, lower construction costs and reduced environmental impacts.
– Flexibility to use the methodology to map “Construction Process”, “Work Packages” and “Tasks” at different types of construction sites.
– Measuring and recording data on the construction process using a dedicated site observer
– Site photos and relevant supporting files can be related to specific data capture points
– Gathering context with a site diary to better understand the reasons for wasted man hours.
– Analysis, reports, root cause insights and proposed solutions
Benefits of using CaliBRE
– Understanding human resource, their productivity and quantifying wasted working hours on different “Construction Process”, “Work Packages” and “Tasks”.
– Understanding the contextual reasons for delays and wasted working hours better.
– Identifying, how long construction processes are taking at a site and comparing this to different construction processes across industry to quantify the efficiency of innovative building systems or techniques
– Tool can be used to collect data offline on a mobile or tablet without a 4G/5G or Wi-Fi signal on site (results can be uploaded once device can be connected to the internet).
Performance measurement issues we help with include:
Design – The impact of building design on the efficiency of the construction process.
New products & systems – The effective use of new products for meeting sustainability standards in new buildings, or improving existing buildings, and the influence of the supply chain on integrating innovative systems with more traditional construction products and methods.
Sustainability requirements – The effects of requirements stipulated, for example by BREEAM.
Energy and water use – Monitoring energy and water use and carbon emissions, and making targeted improvements based on the data collected. Capture and collate actual energy and water usage data in SmartWaste, BRE’s environmental and sustainability monitoring and management solution.
Waste materials – Identifying and measuring waste for use in site waste management plans (SWMP) and for making targeted improvements to reduce waste. Capture and analyse waste produced and manage duty-of-care and SWMP requirements in SmartWaste.
Data management – Company specific web-based data management tools for analysing data from specific projects, and benchmarking performance across a company and with industry.