Our experts cover all aspects of fire detection and fire alarm systems including fire detectors, fire warning devices/components and fire systems used in industrial, commercial and domestic environments to protect people and property.
We have played key roles and hold Chair responsibilities for a number of committees, including the EN 54 series of standards for commercial and domestic fire detection products. BRE Global is a UKAS accredited testing laboratory No. 0578. The research work is conducted to the highest technical standards at our test laboratories in Watford or at our large hangar in Middlesbrough. With many departments specialising in all aspects of the built environment we often call on other BRE experts with expertise in related fields such as fire modelling, lighting, acoustics and social science.
The research work is often proposed by individual or groups of interested parties and supported by the BRE Trust. The work is conducted to the highest ethical standards and with our independent status gives it credibility and leads to outcomes that are accepted and supported by industry. An example of this would be the â€śSmoke detection in high ceiling spacesâ€ť and â€śCode of Practice for visual alarm devices used for fire warningâ€ť that both led to changes in BS 5839-1 the British code of practice for Fire Alarm Systems.
Research projects and guidance documents
For more information
For our training courses
- Automatic fire detection and alarm systems: an introductory guide to components and systems
(BR 510) DOWNLOAD
- Developments in fire detection and fire alarm systems
- Domestic smoke alarmsÂ PDF Download
- New requirements for fire detection and alarm network systemsÂ PDF Download
- Smoke detection in high ceiling spaces (2-part set)Â PDF Download
- Visual alarm devices for fire: an introduction and guide to BS EN 54-23Â PDF Download